Wednesday 1 May 2013

Introducing myself and my depression


I'm a just-finished, soon-to-be graduated, PhD-er in an interdisciplinary science subject. I feel that my depression had a very significant effect on my academic career as it crept up on me relatively soon after the start of my PhD. I'm not even sure a career in academia is possible now. I hope that by being a regular contributor to this blog, I might come to terms with this, or find a solution into breaking in somehow. I still  really enjoy my subject and enjoy thinking about it.

I'm currently looking for a permanent non-academic job but this is proving tough. As my research area was interdisciplinary I'm a jack-of-three-trades and master-of-none. Also, I think any potential non-academic employer sees the PhD qualification on the CV and tends to run a mile in the opposite direction. To fill time I do private tutoring and volunteer at a local museum, as well studying bookkeeping to expand my potential skill-set.

I started my PhD studies way back in October 2004 at a different institution to the one I had done my undergraduate degree, eager to work and study hard, make a good impression and make the most of what lief had to offer me. Two years in, I had lost the will to continue, not just with the PhD, but with any aspect of life. I remember sitting in the car with my partner of 7 months, parked outside of the department. I remember resolutely refusing to go into the building. I remember feeling this hopelessness about life, and wanting to give up. I remember feeling like I'd had enough. That was my breaking point.



2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog, Chantal.
    I recognize many of the things you talk about — the interdisciplinarity to a very large degree. That makes it difficult even with far fewer complicating aspects (I seem to be able to make it work, kinda, right now…) but combined with a debilitating depression it sounds very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi michiexile, thank you for the comment. I think being interdisciplinary means that you have to learn from a wide base of knowledge and that makes it difficult to be an expert in one specific area. I spent a lot of my write up stage reading around the various subjects. In a way I preferred it that way as I found it more interesting... but if you don't have a focus on a particular area (or don't know what your specific focus is) it becomes very time-consuming and that in itself can be demoralising. Research too, never ends, and as such there doesn't seem to be any self-measure of success... I think you actually have to enjoy the process, rather than see it as a means to an end. Unfortunately the latter thinking dominated my PhD experience.

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy:
We reserve the right to edit all comments. In particular, we will not tolerate phobic content (race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, mental health status, etc.) nor personal attacks or threats toward another commenter, significantly off-topic, or is an obvious trolling attempt.