Sunday 20 January 2013

Not getting things done


This morning I caught myself thinking I had not got a lot of things done so far in 2013.    Brought on by starting teaching in a week, which needs some preparation of course. 

This year I've sent off the final paper of a paper that has now appeared online.   And played a significant role (not the major one but still) in submitting a big grant that would help secure the future of the research group.  

That big grant went in on Tuesday... 5 days later I'm thinking how little I've done. 

Oh and by the way I work half time (well, I'm paid half time.)  

And of course I've done quite a number of other little things too.

All of this sounds like boasting but honestly it's not.  I've had a few days of my pointer being at 0, i.e. being happy and not feeling Depressed (big D).  In those days I didn't get a lot done (really) and found that I didn't even feel guilty about it. This was a rather disconcerting feeling.  

I'm saying that if I am not getting things done well my mind likes to notice that and make me feel guilty about it.  I suspect this negative mindset is linked to Depression, of course without any evidence at all.  

So now I'm sitting in a coffee shop blogging instead of getting work done.  And yes it is Sunday morning, and it seems to me like I should be working.   


p.s. Ok there was one bit of boasting in this post. The link to my 2013 paper was boasting. More than the content of this paper, I have been feeling very proud of having published two papers in this journal 20 years apart (this is the other one).  Proud because the journal JAIR was from day one  - 20 years ago remember -not only gold standard open access but free to readers AND authors.  At the time our first paper was published access was by anonymous ftp: a few weeks later they set up a Gopher server, mentioning that this would also allow you WWW access!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy:
We reserve the right to edit all comments. In particular, we will not tolerate phobic content (race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, mental health status, etc.) nor personal attacks or threats toward another commenter, significantly off-topic, or is an obvious trolling attempt.