Tuesday 15 January 2013

I can feel the emotional crash

It hovers just outside my peripheral vision. It taps on the door, wants me to let it inside.

Two weeks ago, I would have already crashed by now. I can recognize the signs. The pressure in my head, the urge to just cry, to hide, the apathy, the anhedonia.

SSRIs must be working, because I don't seem to be crashing. I haven't gotten all that much done tonight — but after almost a week of solid all-evening work, working through the weekend, pushing for our paper deadline, it's probably just good that I drop off the grid for tonight.

But this here, this is a novel feeling. Almost crashing, but never quite. Feeling the lead-in to an emotional breakdown without it going all the way.

I can live with this.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. Without claiming any empathy with your symptoms, sometimes when one is a bit better it can be quite interesting to look in on what is happening in your head.

    Like if I have a bad day and can think "Oh, this is a bad day, if I do X I'll still be miserable but at least I will have done X." If I can think that well it's not the worst kind of day, because on those days I can't think about the predicament I'm in.

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy:
We reserve the right to edit all comments. In particular, we will not tolerate phobic content (race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, mental health status, etc.) nor personal attacks or threats toward another commenter, significantly off-topic, or is an obvious trolling attempt.