Wednesday 7 October 2015

I've been busy

This is another guest post from Dorothy Donald.

Since I last wrote a post:

I have done lot at work (though I have not been working an 80-hour week and I have, for the most part, refused to feel guilty for that)

I have been exercising regularly

I have made some new friends

I have been on some dates

I have spent time talking with friends and family who are having difficult times of their own and offering as much support as I can

I have rediscovered reading for pleasure

I have levelled with myself about how much sleep I actually need and done my best to get that amount

I have made it all the way through September – shortening days, wind, rain, and all – without sinking. 

I have reached the point where all of the stuff I’ve been doing to distract myself from my depression is starting to look like a normal and healthy life. The fiction I have constructed about being a functioning adult is getting hard to disentangle from reality. My depression hasn’t vanished, but it’s been in the background rather than dominating the landscape.

(My flat is still a mess.)

I go to see Neil again in three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy:
We reserve the right to edit all comments. In particular, we will not tolerate phobic content (race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, mental health status, etc.) nor personal attacks or threats toward another commenter, significantly off-topic, or is an obvious trolling attempt.