Wednesday 1 July 2015

Link: Life of the Mind Interrupted

We just came across the following remarkable series by Katie Rose Guest Pryal


There's really a lot of awesome stuff here, and it's well worth reading.  I haven't read all of it yet but here are some snippets from the first post...
But once she earned tenure, she felt a responsibility to speak on behalf of others who weren’t so lucky: “Finally, I realized that many are truly prevented from disclosing because they don’t have job security. Once I had tenure, I wasn’t. I thought that I had a responsibility to speak out for those who couldn’t.” 
“They hired you for your mind,” she [a different person] told me. “Why would you volunteer that there’s something wrong with it?” 
and from the most recent post as I write:
Given that new research shows that precarious academic employment itself is a risk factor for mental illness, it seems like a terrible idea for someone with a psychiatric disability to take a contingent teaching job. Too bad for seven years I never felt like I had a choice. 
Now that I’ve left academia behind, not only have those fears fallen away (well, for the most part), but I now can devote myself to writing about disability studies, my area of specialty that I rarely had time for before.
These snippets are not meant to be a balanced subset of what she is saying, just almost random illustrations of how well-worth reading the series is.

Yes, we're a year late to find this, but here it is now. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. There is some hard-hitting stuff here. It's incredibly good!

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy:
We reserve the right to edit all comments. In particular, we will not tolerate phobic content (race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, mental health status, etc.) nor personal attacks or threats toward another commenter, significantly off-topic, or is an obvious trolling attempt.