Monday 8 June 2015

Vignette: This is how ridiculous anxiety can be

Just an hour ago as I am writing this, I was driving in St Andrews and for some reason had a rush of anxiety and the thought:
I'll never be able to hold down a job.
This is the kind of anxiety that you might have (and I think I did) when you are 16 (going on 17), or maybe a bit later when you are about to graduate.  At that point it might be unnecessary to torture yourself about this, but it's an understandable worry.

I am 50 (going on 51), and I've had my current job for 15 years (going on 16), and had miscellaneous other jobs before that.

My anxiety was not that I would lose my job and not be able to get another one.

My anxiety was literally that I would never in my life be able to hold down a job, even though I have actually done so for more than 20 years.

Anxiety can be pretty ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy:
We reserve the right to edit all comments. In particular, we will not tolerate phobic content (race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, mental health status, etc.) nor personal attacks or threats toward another commenter, significantly off-topic, or is an obvious trolling attempt.