Saturday 27 December 2014

Update; switched medicines

I haven't written here for a while, and I probably should have. But then again, I should stop feeling so guilty all the time. :-P

I got picked up by the Huddinge Hospital unit for affective disorders -- they do a sort of an outreach programme to help other medical personal deal with affective-spectrum patients. So I now see a psychiatrist at the university hospital expert unit for Bipolar 2. So far, I have been really impressed with that contact.

December has been exceptionally crappy. My new psychiatrist switched me from fluoxetin+wellbutrin to lamotrigin (anti-epilepticum with recognized use for mood stabilization with bipolars). Stepping off of the SSRI/NDRI cocktail was painful, with almost a week lost in back-to-back anxiety pangs. Then I stepped straight from there to a round with the flu that had me floored for a week. I'm slowly getting back to sensible speeds again, but it is slow running, and not particularly comfortable en route.

As for mood, I feel like a wad of cotton has been removed. I feel clearer, brighter, and more ... interested in things. I also have re-acquired my sudden, unexplainable and deep anxiety/sadness blips where I crash out over a time period of a few minutes, and then after spending up to maybe 30-45 minutes as a tearful wreck suddenly return to normal about as quickly. It's disorienting, and a bit of a strain for the people around me, but I hope that as we ramp up lamotrigin these blips will reduce in frequency.

That's it at the end of 2014. Happy holidays all y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy:
We reserve the right to edit all comments. In particular, we will not tolerate phobic content (race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, mental health status, etc.) nor personal attacks or threats toward another commenter, significantly off-topic, or is an obvious trolling attempt.