Tuesday 8 October 2013

Vignette: I must be doing ok

Today I surfed over to Google Scholar and discovered my h-index had increased by one.

If you don't know what h-index is, all that matters is that it's a measure of citations of an academic, and like logarithms, it increases slowly.  So a single increment in your h-index is fairly rare.  But if you know me, you know I can obsess over citations - both mine and other people's.

I was really happy it clicked up by one.  Which is normal.  But the last couple of times it has I felt nothing, just as I did when I had a major paper accepted.

So the fact that I was happy about my h-index going up suggests I must be doing ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy:
We reserve the right to edit all comments. In particular, we will not tolerate phobic content (race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, mental health status, etc.) nor personal attacks or threats toward another commenter, significantly off-topic, or is an obvious trolling attempt.